Friday, September 21, 2012

Witty putdowns and insults


  • “I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend - if you have one.”
    –George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

    “Cannot possibly attend first night; will attend second - if there is one.”
    –Winston Churchill’s response to George Bernard Shaw
  • “Winston, if you were my husband, I would poison your tea!”
    –Lady Astor to Winston Churchill at a dinner party

    “Madam, if I were your husband, I would drink it!”
    –Winston Churchill’s response to Lady Astor
  • “I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.”
    –Clarence Darrow
  • “He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.”
    –Oscar Wilde
  • “Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.”
    –Oscar Wilde
  • “He had delusions of adequacy.”
    –Walter Kerr
    • I'd call you a cunt but you lack the warmth and depth.
  • Tell him I was too fucking busy-- or vice versa.”
  • “That woman speaks eighteen languages, and can't say 'No' in any of them.”
  • “So, you're the man who can't spell 'fuck.' --Dorothy Parker to Norman Mailer after publishers had convinced Mailer to replace the word with a euphemism, 'fug,' in his 1948 book, "The Naked and the Dead.”
  • “She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B.”
  • “Why, that dog is practically a Phi Beta Kappa. She can sit up and beg, and she can give her paw -- I don't say she will but she can.”
  •  


No comments: